Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:16:51 -0600
Is it OK to put a beverage along/on top of a barbed wire fence? I was thinking of putting extensions on some of the "T" posts with the Beverage strung along the tops of those extensions. I can make the extensions non conducting fiberglass rods which could elevate the Beverage wire about 3 feet above the top wire of the 5 wire fence or about 7 ft above ground. If needed I could extend the extensions and go higher.

About deer etc. tangling in antennas... I had a previously undetected partial kink in a multi-strand antenna wire (270 ft Carolina Windom) which fell during a storm. I was waiting for better weather to repair and rehang. Meanwhile it disappeared, as in vanished without a trace with attached balun, choke, vertical 22 ft coax, end insulators etc.. The antenna was not visible from the nearest road (1/4 mile plus) so it wasn't a copper thief. I suppose a deer or one of our Black Angus got tangled temporarily and who knows where it might have ended up. That pasture was 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile and I again suppose if it was a deer it didn't make it over another fence dragging it. I could find it quickly with my 6 ft wide brush cutter/mower but oh what a tangled mess. Maybe when the weather is better I need to take a ride around that field or a hike with my metal detector.

What difference will it make to string a Beverage antenna parallel to and within a few feet of a barbed wire fence?

Patrick   NJ5G