[TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna
From: "Don " <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 10:05:06 -0800
OK folks,I've read all the posts (wow, was this an active topic).

It appears we have both experienced and novice users of the Beverage (I'm in the latter group, trying to learn). It also appears we have a bit of controversy on numbers.

First, I'm surprised there does not seem to be any published measurements taken at a common test site of a Beverage at various heights and lengths (such as done with yagi's, and other antennas on test ranges). The experiences given on Towertalk appear to be based on the varying conditions users have experienced, sprinkled with a little conjecture (most appearing to be based on sound theory). Surely, some entity, maybe the military, has experimented with and published Beverage data from work in a test range where conditions are common to each height and length measurement????

So, based on what I've read so far from all of the experiences using a 160 M Beverage this is what appears to be common - noise reduction value diminishes with height (the maximum usable height around 13 feet). As well, it appears that the maximum useful length is a wavelength to a wavelength and one half.

Close?

Don W7WLL