Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 07:39:54 -0600
Chuck, A very good point.

That is the essence of my interest in the effect of having some parallel grounded conductors (5 strand barbed wire fence with steel posts) a short (TBD) distance below the beverage antenna. I'm curious to know if the fence would act similar to good conductivity dirt WRT Beverage performance.

If not, then what if the antenna wire were mounted above 3 parallel but horizontally spaced conductors looking for the beginnings of the effect that would be achieved theoretically with our old friend the infinite conductive plane over which we mount our verticals? Why 3? Because it would be easy to put a strand of wire on either side of the top strand of barbed wire using readily available inexpensive plastic insulating arms made expressly for adding electric fence wire to a fence built with T-posts. With a little more fussing I could attach 2 wires either side of the center wire giving a better approximation of the infinite plane. One of our experts can maybe tell me if the parallel grounded wires need to be tied together laterally or if that would matter.

Patrick      NJ5G