Re: [TowerTalk] [DILLO] Re: New Proposed Texas Tower Regulation

To: Paul Gilbert <ke5zw@wt.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [DILLO] Re: New Proposed Texas Tower Regulation
From: W5JR_dillo <w5jr_dillo@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 11:25:42 -0600
We have seen these bills all acres the country. Last year, Colorado enacted a
similar bill but carved out most communications towers. Nebraska currently has
a Colorado clone in their legislature. Mississippi, however already has an MET
law on the books and wanted to add *all* towers. It was voted down in
committee. We expect it to be back. Chatham County in Georgia requires sites to
be wrapped in reflective tape, over the objections of the FAA. Lee County in
Florida did much the same.

The Nebraska bill also includes a wrinkle to create a statewide database.
Undoubtedly, they will look to industry to fund this.

The Mississippi bill contemplated forcing all towers to register with the FCC's
ASR program. In the 1995 FCC Order, they specifically changed the rules to only
register towers that triggers an FAA review. Most towers under 200' do not
trigger this process.

Adding to this, now every tower that goes through the ASR process must be
reviewed by the FCC for NEPA compliance. This is a manual process at the FCC -
hence the desire to reduce unnecessary filings. Most towers that actually
require a NEPA review must go on national public notice whereby those opposing
the tower on environmental concerns can comment during the public notice
window.

Currently, all tower projects are subject to State Historical Preservation
Office (SHPO) and Tribal Historical Preservation Office (THPO) review,
regardless of FAA or FCC regulation as a result of the National Pragmatic a
Agreement.

As background, all structures are subject to FAA regulations, regardless of
height. Once an FCC licensed transmitter (and in some cases receivers) is
attached to the structure, the FCC then is the enforcement agency for lighting
and marking compliance, not the FAA. So, MET's are the sole purview of the FAA
while communications towers bring both into play.

We continue to watch the developments in the Texas bill.

tnx
Mike / W5JR
Alpharetta GA
Day Job: AT&T Public Policy