Re: [TowerTalk] [DILLO] Re: New Proposed Texas Tower Regulation

To: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [DILLO] Re: New Proposed Texas Tower Regulation
From: Mickey Baker <n4mb@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 11:19:16 -0500
I'm a pilot with ~4k hours, all in single engine airplanes. I learned to
fly from a farm field - a cow pasture.

I've known a lot of ag pilots over the years. They're generally good pilots
and don't take unnecessary chances. But when doing a job that's hundreds or
even thousands of acres, they tend to fly the fields at the beginning of
the project, then proceed under the assumption that no one erects anything.
If something goes up literally overnight, I can see where there might be a
problem.

"See and avoid" obstacles and other airplanes are the pilot's
responsibility. Period. If someone erects a tower in a few hours, it is
legally the pilot's responsibility to avoid it, and the NTSB will likely
point to "pilot error" as a cause if a VFR pilot hits an obstacle.

But legal doesn't cover it if you're at the bottom of a smoking hole.
Safety is more important that legality.

Luckily, (or unluckily if youu own a million dollar AG CAT airplane) many
operations are switching to drones - unmanned aircraft. They fly perfect
patterns and no human is at risk.

Thus the need for the FAA to actually have regulations around the
commercial use of UAVs.

73,

Mickey N4MB (PP-ASEL-IA)