Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] FW: Coax lengths for phasing a stack

To: Ian White <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] FW: Coax lengths for phasing a stack
From: Markku Oksanen <ww1c@outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 12:59:33 +0000
>From a systems design perspective I still hold that it is best to make sure
>that you will CERTAINLY have the same current on each driven element by
>cutting to odd number of wavelengths.
It may not really make too much cable since even on 20 m 1/4 wave in RG-213
type cable is 3.5 meters and you have thus 3.5, 10.5, 17.5 and 24.5 meters to
use.  And if desired, one can have a feed to lower antenna with say 3.5 meters
( if the driven element is close to the tower) and then run a longer cable, say
17.5 meters to the top antenna.The phase relationship between antennas will be
slightly frequency dependant this way but quick calculation between 14.2 and
say 14 MHz, shows 1.4% frequency difference but because there is a one full
wavelengths worth of electrical distance, this translates to 5 degree phase
error.  Totally nothing to worry about.
What I want to point out here is that it is good engineering practice to make
sure that every individual element of the design is done to best available
knowledge, then, and perhaps only then, the system altogether will work as was
planned.
MarkkuOH2RA/OG2A/WW1C