Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley..again.

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley..again.
From: Chris <EZRhino@fastmovers.biz>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 12:01:41 -0700

> I would always prefer trap yagis over such installations:
>
> http://www.optibeam.info/files/ob18-6.jpg

Apples and Oranges!  That is comparing a VW Bug to a Ferrari.  Both will
transport you, but one will do it a whole lot faster!
Let's keep the discussion realistic.

> And I don´t buy your "they can easily be outperformed"
>
> I never found a performance difference between Fritzel FB-33, Mosley CL-33
> and Cushcraft A3S either.

1)      Read "Array of Light" by N6BT.          This will explain the theory of
why trapped antennas are inferior to non- trapped.
2)      Read "Tribander Performance, Test Methods and Results" by N0AX and
K7LXC.   This is an actual test of why trapped antennas are inferior to
non-trapped.

If you still believe a trapped Mosley is better than non-trapped, then we can't
help you.

No one is saying that Mosley antennas don't work.  They are saying they are
inferior in performance to what is available today.

Remember N6BT's test using a light bulb as an antenna?  Anything will work.
The question is, compared to what?  The part of the QST article he wrote that
was edited out by the QST staff is a tell-all:  How would you like to be the
ham beaten out of the pile-up by Tom using a light bulb as an antenna? (Yes he
did this).

Saying  "I've worked a lot of DX on a (fill-in-the-blank-antenna), therefore it
must be good", is like saying, "I've driven to the store 800 times in 10 years
in my VW Bug and it always hauled me home."  So what?  All that proves is the
VW Bug does what it is designed to do.  A new car can do that too, and with
better performance and better economy.

One big problem here that hasn't been mentioned yet is that Mosley's were
designed in the 1950's before computer modeling.  And not changed since.  We're
comparing a 1960 Bug with a 2014 Honda Accord.  Both will get you to the store.
 But there is no comparison in performance!  Like comparing a carburetor
(traps) to fuel injection (non-traps).

That is all.

Chris