Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question
From: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 11:30:32 -0600
Mosley bashing (lynch mob) comes and goes every so often.

Here is a towertalk post from 2006:

I've used a stack of PRO-57*A* antennas for about ten years now. As my
operating skills have developed enough, I've been able to do fairly well in
contests from my home station.  The antennas are at 60 and 100 feet, and
have been used to win or place in contests from Tennessee.

I've done pattern and F/B tests with other locals to try to see if I was
seeing any of the "negative gain" that was reported by K7LXC and N0AX on the
PRO-57*B*.
I've done comparisons to stacks of trapped and no-trap tribanders at similar
heights in the Nashville area.
We have consistently found pretty much identical signal strengths into
Europe on 10, 15, and 20 meters.  I am on a ridge, but Europe is actually my
worst take-off azimuth, with about a 50 foot rise in the ridge at 45
degrees.

Perhaps something was lost between the 57A and 57B models on the contest
bands? I believe the difference between the A and B models was an additional
trap to provide an extra element for 12 meters? I know that my "A" models
have only two active elements on 12 meters. I truly don't experience any of
the "negative gain" on fifteen meters reported by my old pals Steve and
Ward.

Anyway, mileage always varies. Having operated from a few different places
with different antenna systems, I don't think the PRO57 deserves the bad
rap.  I concur with K1AR who said simply, "beams are good." Mine seem to
play quite well, and have lasted over a decade without any problems.
They are built to last. No boom truss is needed. Load up the boom on 40 or
30 meters, and you've got a stout 6-band antenna.

73

-Kirk  K4RO