Re: [TowerTalk] Lowering HDX 589

To: Mike Ryan <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lowering HDX 589
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:26:17 -0800

On 2/24/2015 6:01 AM, Mike Ryan wrote:
A buddy uses a 3000lb rated worm gear winch. I forget the brand but it
is junk.  I just email him and asked him to send the pics he took of it
last weekend. It is only about 6 months old, is rusting badly, and
appears that the pin that holds the gear from the handle to the worm
gear is about to fall out.  Don't recall the brand but is is made in
Mexico.
-Mike

Before my present "boat lift" raising winch, I used a Fulton KW3000
worm gear winch.  It worked sort of OK if thoroughly greased, but had
a lot of friction and got hot.  It did not have a rusting problem,
but after of couple of years, it started making squeeling noises
and I had to get rid of it.

Rick N6RK