Re: [TowerTalk] effect of two wire antennas end to end

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] effect of two wire antennas end to end
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:47:07 -0800
On Tue,2/24/2015 8:09 PM, n8de@thepoint.net wrote:
The greatest amount of interaction would be between the feedlines!

I would not expect significant interaction if there each antenna has a good ferrite choke at its feedpoint (that is, up in the air). Out here on the west coast, we often rig dipoles for 80 and 40 inline as has been suggested, broadside to the east coast.

Indeed, the major difficulty is the weight of the two feedlines causing excessive sag, and the robust mechanical construction needed to support the significant tension required to minimize that sag. You will want robust egg insulators at the ends of the dipoles and also very robust termination it the centers. I would use #10 THHN (house wire).

I suggest that Steve rig his antennas using pulleys like these, k9yc.com/Pulley.JPG and the 5/16-in rope sold by DX Engineering, HRO, and others. The big lag hook is what we use to go into the trunk of the redwood. Arborists use them for ropes that pull trees toward each other (perhaps one is leaning). :) I buy them from a local arborist supply store.

Buy the pulleys here:

http://www.cmi-gear.com/collections/frontpage-2-service-line-pulleys/products/rp115

Distributor of the rope:

http://www.synthetictextilesinc.com/supportham.html

Really high dipoles are wonderful antennas. I recently raised my 30M dipoles from about 35 ft to about 100 ft. It was like buying an amp!

73, Jim K9YC