Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question
From: David Gallatin via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 02:08:50 +0000 (UTC)
Kelly, could you please give some examples of the antennas you are talking
about that are  "a smaller,  computer-modelled, trapless
interlacedmulti-monobander" ?   73,
David, AA9G

ex W5DCG and KC9EEV

     On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:08 AM, Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
wrote:

 Great, now people are going to accuse others of TH7DXX-bashing... ;=)

The TH7DXX is obviously a successful product of its pre-modelling era. Lots
of people have had success with it. So this isn't bashing it, OK?

But it's surprising how many people seem to want to refuse to believe the
antennas they grew up with could have been surpassed by modern technology.
(KK9A, this comment isn't necessarily directed at you.) The thing about the
TH7DXX is, with all its aluminum, weight and windloading, it's just a
three-element antenna on 15 and 20.

(On 10m, it's a four-element.)

If you look at the manual, the maximum gain on 20 is 8.0 dBi. So take off
2.15 dB right there, and then consider the added gain for marketing
purposes, and then consider it's the maximum gain only, which would be at
the absolute sweet spot in the band.

Suddenly, it becomes a bit easier to believe it's outdone (or at least
equalled) by a smaller,  computer-modelled, trapless interlaced
multi-monobander (to use an N6BTism).

Does the TH7 work? No question. Is it now the best use of aluminum? That's
up to the purchaser.

73, kelly
ve4xt