Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: effect of two wire antennas end to end

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: effect of two wire antennas end to end
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:01:20 +0000
The common-mode voltage at the feedpoint of an OCFD can be many times the differential voltage across the feedpoint.

Take the common example of a 132ft wire fed 44ft from one end at a height of 35ft. On 80m the offset feedpoint impedance might be, say, 70+j0 Ohms; so at the 100W power level the feedpoint differential voltage would be around 84v rms and the current 1.2A.

But if we now consider the two legs of the dipole separately we find that the impedance wrt ground looking into the short 44ft leg is dominated by a reactance of about -j300 Ohms, and the impedance wrt ground looking into the long 88ft leg is dominated by a reactance of about +j300 Ohms. Taken together, those two reactances cancel and we are left with a moderate, resistive, differential feedpoint impedance; however the feedpoint current of 1.2A flowing through those large individual reactances elevates the feedpoint voltages to something well over 300v with respect to ground. The effect is analogous to the very high voltages experienced when feeding highly reactive vertical antennas.

Now scale those numbers for a power level of 1500W and the CM voltage rises to 1160v. That could result in 135W dissipation in a balun, even if it had a CM impedance of 10,000 Ohms - that's why designing a balun for an OCFD is a significant challenge, particularly if you want to run QRO.

Choosing a "flux-coupled" transformer balun over a "transmission-line choke" balun can alleviate some of the potential overheating problems, but it doesn't necessarily reduce the CM current. Its CM impedance is almost totally determined by the primary/secondary stray capacitance, so the CM impedance falls at high frequencies and is often inferior to a choke balun.

Take a look at the comparative CM impedance figures for various balun topologies in the table on page 9 here:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/baluns/baluns.pdf

Steve G3TXQ