Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline - Direct Bury or Conduit ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline - Direct Bury or Conduit ?
From: Mark Ketchell <k5er@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 21:13:36 -0600
Shawn and Rich,
First, I checked the literature from the manufacturer, which states that their product actually IS rated for direct burial. Second, call "DOTTIE" or whoever marks underground utilities in your area. Even on your own property, there can be liability issues if you don't.

Naturally YMMV, but for MY application, I then used a commercial trencher and ran an 18" deep tench from shack to tower. The LDF cables went directly in the bottom, add about an inch of dirt, then TWO runs of conduit, 3" minimum one on top of the other. One holds rotor and control cables for the multiple stack matches, etc. The other conduit currently empty, but should (when?) something go bad, it will sure be easier to get a replacement through it rather than pulling through dirt or an already half full conduit. Naturally sweeping ends on the conduits. Finish by filling in the trench with nearly a foot of dirt. *NOTE: SOME jurisdictions may also require you to take additional steps ie., specific thickness conduit, IF you have any 120 volt cable involved. Took a year before the grass completely covered, but now you would be pressed to try to find where it is buried. And the best part?? The wife hasn't hit a piece of control or feed line with the riding mower since it went in.

     If interested, photos are available at: http://k5er.com/trenching.htm

     Best of luck with the projects, guys.

73,
Mark, K5ER