Re: [TowerTalk] Loss of wet RG-213

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loss of wet RG-213
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:23:09 -0700
Sadly, I have the answer. The coax feeding my high 80/40 fan dipoles got water intrusion at/near the top, and the coax was wet at my grounding panel, where it entered the shack. I cut the connector to open it up and found the copper braid to be black in color. I bought new coax, and a month or two later, replaced it. I also measured the bad coax. When new, the loss in that coax is 0.4 dB/100 ft at 10 MHz. The wet coax was 0.45 dB/100 ft. Further oxidation of the braid will increase that loss.

73, Jim K9YC