Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna choices

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna choices
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 10:49:01 -0400
"...actually I find that M2 is right on in their numbers – no specmanship here
whatsoever."

Then  look here at the on-line M2 spec for their 12L LPDA model:

"Gain  6.8 dBi / 11.6 dBi @ 45' "

The gain is really 11.6 dBi at 45 ft. across the entire 30-10m spectrum?  I can
see using one figure in free space, but not over earth.

Any manufacturer that implies gain at a specific height above ground, is using
"specmanship."  At the very least, manufacturers should state: "modeled x.x MHz
at xx ft./m in height over flat earth. Changes in the surrounding terrain will
affect this specification."   Also see Optibeam's advertising material for
similar height/gain claims.

Paul, W9AC