Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Hauling hardline into a 4 inch cable duct

To: Alan Ibbetson <alan@g3xaq.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Hauling hardline into a 4 inch cable duct
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 07:53:49 -0700
I removed 3 LDF5's from 3" conduit that was still well lubricated but with a capstan winch. We would pull 3', reset the sling noose and repeat to remove 110' of cable. You don't need steel wire rope and 210' is more than most winches will hold. Use a low stretch dacron, dacron/polyester double braid or 8 plait, not a 3 strand line. A 1/2" diameter is strong enough and much easier on the hands. Use plenty of cable pulling lube. Plan on at least 4 persons, two managing the pull side, one feeder + lubricator and at least one unspooling. Pull all at once, and pull extra coax, control lines, CAT5, RG6, etc.

You have a significant challenge re the bend radius at both ends being tighter than the larger hardline should endure under a pulling load. Adding large radius (> 36") 90 degree sweeps to your cable duct at both ends may be a solution, or extending the access pit so a pull will be more horizontal. The PVC duct edge can be very abrasive so care is needed to not damage the coax.

A rentable tripod used as a hoist point over a manhole, sometimes used as a man-safety recovery device, plus a small chain hoist would work instead of a capstan winch for a vertical pull. Check out the knot books for how to tie a resettable grab knot on the pull line or use a technical climbing ascender. http://www.rei.com/search.html?ir=q%3Aascenders&pagesize=90&page=1&q=ascenders

Grant KZ1W