[TowerTalk] FW: Near Field Lightning Damage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Near Field Lightning Damage
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 05:49:54 -0500
No one else has offered up anything so thought I would throw in my 2 cents
worth...    Draw out a 1-line schematic of your station equipment set-up.
Show ALL of the wiring connections.   Include all house wiring (lights,
telephone, cable, intercom, alarm system, etc...   )  When you think you
have all the wiring identified, go back and recheck again.   Draw a box
around your station representing the room where the station is located.
Every metal line (or pipe) that crosses that box must be equalized quickly
to the common point ground potential during a lightning event, as well as
the chassis of the equipment shown inside the box.  "Quickly" means the
protective devices are either mounted directly to the common ground or by
means of a very short, low impedance ground strap.   Implementing this is
usually not a trivial matter.  But, when you do achieve this, the potential
of all the interconnected equipment will rise and fall at approx. the same
rate during a lightning event.   It works.   Check out W8JI's web page on
lightning protection for more info.

Sorry for your equipment loss and hope this suggestion helps.

Matt
KM5VI