Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Lightning Protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Lightning Protection
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 15:33:52 -0400
John,

Thanks for the added info. Last time I looked, GH didn't publish the full schematic set for the K7NV version of the rotator. But, I suspect it's doing the same thing: using a DPDT relay to isolate both the DC supply line and the DC return to to protect the power MOSFET and guard against the effect of a shorted MOV. However, I feel much more comfortable using high-quality vacuum relays, rather than frame relays for this purpose. IF GH is using a frame relay, it may be more susceptible to contact flashover, thus undermining the relay's purpose.

In looking at high-quality DPDT vacuum relays suitable for the job, the choice is limited and very expensive -- typically USD $500 ea. In this case, adding the second SPST vacuum relay can be accomplished at a significantly lower cost. Due to the large sixe of the DPDT vacuum relays, using a pair of the SPST types allows me to sneak-in the second relay where there's no room for the larger type.

Paul, W9AC

-----Original Message----- From: john@kk9a.com