Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Lightning Protection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Lightning Protection
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 21:11:07 -0400
Having worked with literally thousands of MOV,s from little ones up to 50,000 Joul ratings, They will typically fail shorted, BUT I have seen many fail open. It depends on the power contained in the "final spike" that causes them to fail. From power line spikes and nearby lightening strikes the ODDS ARE it/they will fail shorted. If enough power/energy is contained in that final spike at failure time, it becomes likely they will fail open and that anything on that line will fail as well.

Based on experience, you can expect the MOV to fail shorted and it will PROBABLY protect any electronic device connected to it. That being the case, the prop pitch motor will PROBABLY need some sort of "fail safe" to prevent over rotation.

That's a lot of probables, but it's unfortunately a fact of life, leaving you playing the odds which favor the MOV failing shorted, but with no guarantee it will do so. If the MOV works as we all hope, then you will need some sort of "fail safe"

Since the big ground system was installed my tower has been hit at least 7 times that can be verified with nothing disconnected and NO MOVs in the rotator lines. No damage was seen.

I can not say the same for my computers and network. A nearby strike did nothing to either station, but it sure cost me a lot in network and computer damage. The CAT-5 lines go through protection at the UPS for each computer. The connectors were melted and the wire contacts welded together at one UPS. The router, 8 port switch and most NICs were shot!

So, lightening and MOVs are a crap shoot. They will protect you from the smaller stuff, but cause other problems. They are unlikely to protect you from the larger stuff.

In the end, I'd use them, plan on the MOVs failed as a short, and hope for the best There is no guarantee, but you have tilted the odds in your favor..

73

Roger  (K8RI)

.