Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Cable Clamps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Cable Clamps
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 10:42:20 -0700
On 6/8/15 10:23 AM, TexasRF--- via TowerTalk wrote:
Hi Roger, serving guy wires is definitely an acquired skill! Reminds me of
braiding a live horse's tail; few people would actually do it.

73,
Gerald K5GW

Having done both:
Serving is mechanically larger forces required (at least for big cables), but tail braiding is a lot longer process with a lot more complexity. And, of course, you don't want to get kicked.

Of course, if you're needing to braid your horse's tail for a show, there's also a ready source of people who you can *pay* to do the braiding. This is less likely standing in your yard with some multistrand steel cable wanting to go somewhere you dont want it to go.

You'll also not wind up getting puncture wounds from the horse's tail.

Cable grips are definitely the way to go. If I wasn't using cable grips, I'd use crimp on sleeves instead. Once you have invested in the crimp tool, a box full of appropriate sleeves and your steel cable termination process gets simple. Crosby clamps (never saddle a dead horse, bail to the tail) are tedious, etc.; and I always wonder if the nut will come loose.