Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor loop coax choices ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor loop coax choices ?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 13:36:50 -0700
On Thu,6/11/2015 1:16 PM, Mark Spencer wrote:
I have nagging doubts about using cables with a solid foil shield for a rotor
loop.

I would share your concern.

I do like the idea of double shielded cables so RG213, RG 8 etc are off the
table for now.

I wouldn't worry about "double-shielding," but rather the quality of the shield. Look through the Belden catalog for an RG8 or RG213 with a robust copper braid shield and stranded center. Look at 8237, 8268, 8214. or 9251. All are 97% shield coverage. Check out vendors like Markertek. 9251 has non-contaminating jacket. 8214 is #11 center; the others are #13.

You don't need a lot of coax for the rotor loop, so cost is hardly a factor -- I'd be more concerned about finding someone to sell you short lengths. :)

73, Jim K9YC