Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Build

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Build
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 23:33:30 -0400
I realize, mine is a single instance. Even in my 60s I was in better shape than many close to half my age, climbing towers and flying airplanes..

I put up a second guyed tower. A good, sturdy, 100', 45G with occasional help of local hams serving as gofers, or pulling on the rope to the gin pole. In days gone by, I did maintenance on a couple of systems. The 45G was rock solid and the old, skinny tower was beginning to appear a little less than straight, so I took it down. I was happy with the big array on the 45G, but a flock of cormorants decided to use my 7L C3i 6-meter Yagi @ 115 feet (give or take) as an overnight stop. They broke the boom truss, which fell down on the driven element of the TH-5.

Then low and behold. Nature threw me a curve and I could no longer climb. By the time I found someone to take the big array down the Th-5 was in serious need of lot of TLC. I used Phillystran for a new boom truss on the 6-meter Yagi. Let's see those big birds stand on that<:-)

The 100' 45G is still standing, but it only serves to support half wave slopers on 75 and 40, with a half sloper on 160.

There are many good reasons for installing a guyed tower and many for installing a crank up and fold over. There are probably just as many reasons not to install one either.

The majority...Majority? Perhaps I should say, "most" hams I know and hams I see at swaps, should never set foot on a tower for their sake and in many instances, the tower's sake. I wonder if they ever heard of exercise and a good healthy diet.

In both types of tower the question is, "Will it meet the ham's needs" and can he/she maintain it properly, or have connections that can get it done.

I added a crank up, fold over LM-470 as the most likely candidate for getting the tribander up.
I might even stick another Diamond, or Comet duobander on top.

A crank up and fold over for a given height and antenna wind area, is larger, much heavier has a lot of moving parts and requires one humongous chunk of concrete for a base compared to a guyed tower. However the XYL might prefer the expense to having guy anchors around the yard.

I enjoyed climbing and figured I'd be climbing for decades

73

Roger  (K8RI)