Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Build

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Build
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 08:12:34 -0500

Do you plan on having a professional company provide a climber and or crane when you do any tweaking or tuning on the antenna. Maybe you will be lucky and the antenna will be just perfect after careful assembly and never have a problem (Optibeams have a good reputation for structural integrity.) So what about maintenance? Rotators don't rotate maint free forever. Then there is inspection/repair/renewal of coax, at least the "flexi-loop" at the rotator even if it never snags catastrophically. Will you be calling a pro to intervene in any/all of these or will, you do your own climbing, risking leaving a widow and orphans?

Maybe the above involve tradeoffs to consider when comparing and contrasting guyed vs unguyed. Neither approach is a free lunch. Free standing tilt-over towers of the same height and load capacity in dead weight and windage have more moving parts and require more inspection/potential maintenance but you can safely tilt the tower and do the work yourself with your boots on the ground. It is a sort of good news/bad news story. With a tilt over free stander you can do your own maint standing safely on the ground, the good news. The bad news is there is more maint required.

If you have the real estate, the approval of your wife for guys and anchors, and the budget to hire all the climbing/crane work done, including ongoing inspections preventative maint etc. there is no reason to select a tilt-over free stander. If you intend to do your own tower work then safety for the head of the family is a 600lb gorilla in the room, hard to ignore.

I have a tilt tower with two sections. The bottom section is guyed and hinged well above ground so releasing one guy allows it to be tilted nicely without falling derricks, gin poles, or helpers. I have a Tashjian free standing tilt tower on order. This and the above tower use appliances to keep the antenna from hitting the ground when tilting down to access the antenna with your boots on the ground, no ladder required. The "magic" appliances are NN4ZZ products, a TiltPlate and its equivalent for a hex beam.

The largest TiltPlate will accommodate the big Optibeam. I'm using it with the SteppIR DB42 (250 lbs) and the prop pitch rotator at 50 lbs plus a couple cast iron pillow block bearings plus mast etc. Without the TiltPlate or equivalent you can't lower the beam down low enough to work on the antenna, rotator, or whatever without a tall ladder which reintroduces the safety concern. With the TiltPlate you can put the tower top equipment at a comfortable working height. I typically prefer about chest high.

None of the above is intended to challenge the macho guyed tower climbers with 12 kids. You guys are truly supermen, a cut above and are not intended recipients of the information or opinions above. I am a mere mortal commenting on a couple factors which might be of interest to other mere mortals, nothing of interest for you supermen.

Patrick    NJ5G

I plan on having a professional company do the install.

First, a copy of UP THE TOWER - The Complete Guide To Tower Construction is an excellent source of many answers to tower installation. Available from _www.championradio.com_ (http://www.championradio.com) .