Re: [TowerTalk] guy posts math

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guy posts math
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 02:25:00 -0400
It's a right triangle. Straight trig, but I can never remember which function. It's the side opposite over the hypotenuse or sine is used. So, it's the sin of the angle the guy forms with the anchor multiplied by the guy tension, multiplied by the height of the guy to get the horizontal force applied by that anchor at ground level..

Assuming I didn't make any mistakes (which requires a leap of faith):

If the guy forms a 45 degree angle with the anchor which is 7 feet tall and the guy tension is 400# it becomes sin(45) * 400 * 7 IOW The 7 ft tall post multiplies the horizontal force at ground level by 7 times. sin(45) = 0.707 Multiplied by the 400 # of tension = 282.84#, but the 7' post = 282.84*7 = 1979.9#. That's enough to require quite a chunk of concrete, or a good back guy which if in line with the guy would only need to hold 282.8#. However it sounds like he wants an elevated guy anchor which has to resist an overturning moment of nearly one ton. Much depends on the soil, but I have a similar arrangement with no back guys I think I calculated the NW guy anchor weighs close to 17,000#. In about 13 years the top of that anchor post has now moved a good foot out of plumb. That anchor sets in a mixture, or layered soil composed of peat and clay. The other two anchors are in clay and I do not measure any movement in them.

73

Roger (K8RI)