Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Tuner with ZS66BKW or OCF Dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Tuner with ZS66BKW or OCF Dipole
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 09:53:39 -0700
On Mon,7/27/2015 6:31 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
I don't do many A-B comparisons between the OCF dipole and the vertical anymore, having seen the results so many times before. Rarely does the dipole win a shootout by much margin. results are close but the vertical usually does a little better. One solid exception is contacting a friend 120 air miles away. Sorry, senior moment (CRS), I don't recall the band but the OCF worked him well and the vertical was useless. We chalked it up to takeoff angle. This result is repeatable.

Not surprising. See http://k9yc.com/VertOrHorizontal-Slides.pdf

The problem with OCF dipoles is that you can't choke them to kill the RX noise.

73, Jim