Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 up to the top of tower ?

To: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 up to the top of tower ?
From: Drax Felton <draxfelton@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 03:24:35 +0000 (UTC)
I do this with 1/2 hardline runs.   I wound a helix of steel rope around the
bundle and let it take the weight and cinch on the cables all the way down.
Lowering the 90 tower just causes the hardline to form big loops on the ground.
Tie down a length of it to an arm at the top so the cable connectors don't flex
and its held away from the tower.
Then use a turnbuckle on the steel rope at the bottom to keep it from swinging
in the wind.

Sent from Outlook

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 5:43 PM -0700, "Robert Harmon" <k6uj@pacbell.net> wrote:

I have a 380 foot coax run to the top section of my motorized tower when it is
fully extended.

I am changing out all my old RG213 and thinking of saving a few db by going to
LMR600 up to the top section then
LMR400UF up from there for the rotor loop and up to the 40 meter beam and
triband/warc beam on the mast.
What do you think of LMR600 for this run from the shack up to the top section
for a motorized tower ?
When I lower the tower I am thinking I could coil the LMR600 into maybe 5 foot
diameter coils on the ground.
BTW the tower is 90 feet to the top of the top section when all the way up.
Is this a bad idea ?  (I am hoping to avoid the cost of the flex LMR600UF if I
can.)
A side issue is I understand I have to be very careful not to nick the copper
clad on the center conductor
when installing a connector on the non flex LMR600.   I would use the Davis
PL259 connectors for LMR600.   Anyway maybe this usage of the
LMR600 is not a good idea, what do you think ?

Bob
K6UJ