Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 up to the top of tower ? Respon fr DAVIS RF

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR600 up to the top of tower ? Respon fr DAVIS RF
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 11:32:12 -0700
On Sun,8/2/2015 11:21 AM, Robert Harmon wrote:
then thinking about the connectors,
  it is painful to then think about introducing loss back in with connectors.
I see the insertion loss
  is extremely small with the connectors, so no worries.

This is true if you use QUALITY connectors. A good rule is nothing but Amphenol for UHF connectors, nothing but Amphenol or surplus MIL-type adapters. The part number for the good Amphenol PL259 is 83-1SP, with nothing after it in the part number.

Whatever you do, avoid junk connectors and adapters. When I got back on the air in 2003, I had to restock my stash of stuff, and a lot of what I bought was junk. Those junk adapters caused me no end of grief with intermittents and outright failures.

73, Jim K9YC