Re: [TowerTalk] surge arrestors or good grounding?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] surge arrestors or good grounding?
From: Martin A Flynn <maflynn@theflynn.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 23:14:56 -0400
Alpha / Delta ATT3G50DIN/HP is one such device, however they appear to be out of production.

The only other comparable product that I am aware of is the Hofi Model 7756 http://arraysolutions.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=222

Martin
W2RWJ

On 8/5/2015 11:06 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
I'm wondering what commercial practice is re surge arrestors?

I note the max power ratings for DIN connector arrestors is 250 watts at least at Tessco. Many are frequency selective. PolyPhasers claim 2500 watts 1.5MHz to UHF.

With top and bottom tower bonding to a ground rod grid and 125' to tower in a trench with the shack entry plate feedthrough grounded to a 200' perimeter footing Ufer, to center pin arrestors do anything useful?

Tower and trench coax is all DIN terminated hardline, so it would make sense to connect to a DIN connector arrestor (if useful), but no such QRO animal seems to exist.

Grant KZ1W