Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Replacement

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Replacement
From: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 03:01:17 -0400
*John:*
Does corrosion make them not effective? John KK9A

*That's a  good question. **
**
**It's my understanding that the reason for copper plating a ground rod is to prevent the deterioration of the rods steel core. Why bother with protective coatings if a slowly deteriorating rod is just as effective as a new rod?

In my case, I have no way of knowing if the pitting found on the first foot of the rod isn't much worse down further so wouldn't it be best to either dig up one of the rods or simply replace them?

Tony
**
*