Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone using spiderbeam for 40m?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone using spiderbeam for 40m?
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 10:12:39 -0500
I haven't seen anything about a COTS 40M HexBeam but I have built a couple Hex Beams covering 6-20M and scaling up to 40m as a DIY project isn't too far into the unknown.

There are pulltruded fiberglass sucker rods available on the used market for decent prices. The problem is shipping. They are typically 1 or 1.2 inches in diameter and are 37.5 ft long. There are other sizes. There are threaded metal fittings epoxied onto the ends, one is female and the other male threads. Sometimes I just cut these to length and may keep or cut off te metal fittings. These rods are very stout but are easily cut with an abrasive cut off blade in an angle grinder. I have the "center?" of my off center dipole raised up using a length of pipe with one of these inserted into it. These rods look like they would be good for quads, hex beams and such.

I can buy these in OKC but have to cut them to a max length that I can handle on my truck's ladder rack which extends over the 4 door cab. This is about 25 ft.

This is one of many hits.

     1" & 1.2" Used*Fiberglass Sucker Rod*, Custom Cut by SWPF ...

<http://southwestagriculturesupplies.com/products/1-used-fiberglass-sucker-rod-custom-cut>

http://southwestagriculturesupplies.com/products/1-used-fiberglass-sucker-rod-custom-cut

Best of luck to you with  your project.

Patrick        NJ5G