Re: [TowerTalk] Steady Hand On The Stick Wow!!!!!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Steady Hand On The Stick Wow!!!!!
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 00:51:49 -0400
Note the alignment cables. With shorter and less massive sections they might not use them, but with those massive pipe sections they had what appeared to be maybe 1" cables through 2 or more bolt holes. When they were close enough the guys in the lower section grabbed those cables and threaded them through corresponding holes in the lower section. At one point you can see the two sections come together, but a bit out of line and set on those cables. They lift it slightly and it appears to be pulled in place. Not to take anything away from the chopper pilot(s)
who were good!

I watched Sky-Cranes set the massive air conditioners atop industrial complexes where I worked at one time.. At the old military base N of Philadelphia I watched one of the big choppers lift off, straight up for about what looked like 50 or 100 feet, then back up a couple hundred feet, stop, hover, go back to the original point, and descend as if they were on tracks. They repeated that maneuver so long, I got tired watching. That's where I shot these:
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/p3s.htm  No photos of the choppers
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/me262.htm One of the originals used as a model for the group that built 5 flying replicas from scratch, but with modern engines inside the hand made nacelles.(I think that's the correct term)

73

Roger (K8RI)