Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystrand

To: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystrand
From: Fred Keen <fredkeen@ymail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 16:07:07 +0000 (UTC)
DX Engineering's catalog (for one) list several thickness of Phillystran and
their strengths.
FredKC5YN

     On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 10:18 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT
<K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net> wrote:

 I use Phillystran (no d) for guying my 100' 45G which had a 30' mast out
the top with a load of antennas. Enough that  TB3s  and 4s only lasted a
couple of years.  I was at the top of the tower on some very windy days
and felt no movement, even though that 30 mast was beating the snot out
of the top antennas.

I also use the small Phillystran as a boom truss for a 7L C3i 6-meter
Yagi.  On the tower the guys are tensioned to either 400#, or 600 #.
IIRC The guys have not needed retensioning, except the one to the NW due
to the elevated anchor shifted do to poor soil  (lots of peat).  In
either case stretch was/is not a factor.  Unless you are supporting a
very heavy element it should not be a factor their either.  If the
element is long enough to require a truss, my preference would be to guy
it fore and aft to the same spot on the element to tame wind induced
vibrations.

73,

Roger (K8RI)

On 10/20/2015 1:15 PM, GMuller885--- via TowerTalk wrote:

> Folks:
>    I have a Mosley MP-33 with WARC (10-12-15-17-20). I have added  a Mosley
> 40 to it. Mosley sent tar rope for the guy and stays. I want to replace  it
> with Phillystrand. What I need to know is what is the stretch factor of
> Phillystrand? Can any one help with this? Please respond.
>
> Gerald Muller K9GEM
> GMuller885@aol.com

Roger (K8RI)

---