Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Phillystran

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Phillystran
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 09:15:17 -0400
On 10/23/2015 8:23 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
On 10/22/2015 8:58 PM, Steve Maki wrote:

And regardless of what typical applications might be, why would anyone
knowingly use a termination substantially weaker than the cable itself?

What if If the working tension was significantly less than the strength
of the multiple saddle clamp arrangement? (I acknowledge the
shortcomings of saddle clamp terminations of Phillystran)

The Phillystran in this lashup would be significantly stronger than
required and would not likely be the most cost effective selection in a
cost sensitive production environment but... If the user, like myself,
finds himself with "scraps/leftovers" from guys cut to size then why not
use the over-sized material and save some money?

I'm not tilting at windmills here just answering Steves question,

...why would anyone knowingly...           Because it works and is cost
effective.

Yes, this is ham radio after all :-)

In the boom truss scenario, where many installs look to me like the truss support is not high enough, especially in ice regions, I would guess peak tension can be way way more than working tension.

-Steve K8LX