Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 22:30:34 -0500
Don, most all knots are weaker than the line in which they are tied, i.e. the line will break at the knot before the undisturbed line will break. . That said, I like your suggestion as boom trusses are not long enough for economics to be an overriding concern that would prevent oversizing the Philly to allow for derating due to the knots.

I would be very curious to know the reduction in breaking strength of a termination consisting of a piece of Philly run through a hole just a bit larger than the nominal diameter of the Philly in a metallic substrate with a figure of eight knot (AKA stopper knot) tied in the Philly. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of marlinspike seamanship could suggest a suitable knot which has a lesser strength reduction. Perhaps someone more familiar with Philly construction could comment on the differences between the stress/force distribution in Philly as opposed to popular rope construction such as double braid, twisted three strand, etc.

Patrick        NJ5G