Re: [TowerTalk] Laws of Physics Repealed!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Laws of Physics Repealed!
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 21:25:53 -0400
A counterpoise does not violate the laws of physics although the claims for a loaded pole on 75 that's a little short for 40 is more a flight of fantasy. But 31.5 feet is pretty much a quarter wave on 40.

I've used the Hy-gain AV640 and the R6. Both advertize no radials, but they do use a counterpoise. The antennas appear similar including the matching circuitry. OTOH the Cushcraft has several traps. Both are only a bit short on 40, their lowest band. Both now have a version that covers 75/80.

I use them as an example because hey are basically the same as the 75/80 meter version, except for the short radiator on 75/80.

BUT

Once assembled, (there are a LOT of parts) the real world proved the AV640 and the R6 to be quite different. Two or three sawhorses along with a couple of extra hands makes assembly easier, faster, and a lot less frustrating.
Be careful as the stubs can make it difficult to lay the antennas down.

The AV640 resonated in each band. The frequency for each band was easily set with no band to band interaction. SWR at resonance in each band was less than 1.5:1. Just assemble according to the directions, put it up, record the resonant frequency for each band, make adjustments according to the manual and it should be ready to go.

The matching system for the AV640 is a toroidal transformer isolated from the feed line by a toroidal choke. Resonance is set with capacity hats and tuned stubs. Very small adjustments go a long way. IOW these antennas are the equivalent of top hat loaded quarter waves. I did not find full band coverage on 40, but most of the band was usable.

At first look the matching unit for the R6 appears to be identical to the AV640.

The R6 was, to put it mildly, a royal PITA. Our club president set up an R6 for a new ham. It was not usable on any ham band. He finally ended up rewinding the matching transformer to a different ratio to get a reasonable SWR. I don't know the performance results of the modified R6.

I had the AV640 and a center fed, half waver sloper fed through an Alpha Delta AB2 (A/B) switch. The AV640 was mounted on a cheap 32' AL tower (The kind I wouldn't climb on a bet even when I was young). http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AV-640/AV640.htm The sloper was/is at roughly 90 feet to the top end with close to a 45 deg angle.

This was during the past sunspot cycle low where 40 was open world wide for several days at a time. I ran 1200W SSB and CW on HF and 800W PEP SSB & CW on 6-meters Yes, I know that's more than the ratings, but the Hy-gain engineer said it should take it and it did. What it didn't take was wasps building a nest in the matching unit. I did find that the sloper had to be kept well away from the vertical. The AV640 is VERY sensitive to nearby objects and particularly if they are resonant on 40.

Whether Oceania, or Europe, it was a toss-up. IIRC At times the sloper won by as much as an S-unit and at times the AV640 would win into the same area. Replies were usually on the first call and from giving my call one time (Timing is important). Apparently the counterpoise works fine. As the directions say to mount it at least 6 feet above conducting surfaces, I doubt the AV640 would do well with a good radial system.

Based on results and the AB comparisons, I believe the AV640 is an efficient radiator. The R6? It's been laying on sawhorses in the back yard for the past 3 or 4 years.

The AV680? I'd like to try one and run a few tests. I expect (hope) it to be at least a "useable" antenna on 75, but certainly no match for the slopers, let alone a quarter wave vertical. Without testing one, it appears as a way to get on 75/80, but certainly not my first choice, remembering that these antennas need to be well away from conductive objects. I have a 75/80 fan dipole that works quite well. http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AntennaSpreader1.htm

AV680? Maybe. R9? Based on the R6, not a chance.

73

Roger  (K8RI)