Re: [TowerTalk] Laws of Physics Repealed!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Laws of Physics Repealed!
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 19:23:32 -0400
From my experience with the AV640, I am impressed with it on 40 meters (Its lowest band) mounted at 25 and 32 feet with it matching the center fed,sloping half wave on average for DX. Due to its sensitivity to nearby objects I wouldn't recommend it as a limited space antenna. OTOH if that's the only space available, I'd use one. Get it as high as possible, or convenient. Tripod roof top mount, short pole or tower.

I do have one caveat for both antennas. There are a lot of mechanical connections for jumpers, coils, traps and stubs subject to corrosion. I'm not down wind from any nearby industry, but I still get a lot of degradation of solder and Al to Al connections. The solder turns grey and just crumbles away. Al to Al held by screws often gets a buildup between the Al pieces. I have needed to redo a number of the coil and jumper connections on the AV640. I've had good luck with liquid Electrical tape. Around here the clear Krylon doesn't last long. YMMV

As a comparison, All of my C3i antennas (one 7L 6-meter, two 12L 147, and two 11L 440s) have had all solder joints for the matching networks fail. What solder was left would crumble to powder when rubbed between my thumb and fore finger. Those all had several coats of clear Krylon. They are getting liquid electrical tape.

73

Roger (K8RI)