Re: [TowerTalk] Need balun advice

To: Chris Wynn <n4xfa@yahoo.com>, "K7LXC@aol.com" <K7LXC@aol.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need balun advice
From: Tom_N2SR via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:52:57 +0000 (UTC)
      From: Chris Wynn via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
 To: "K7LXC@aol.com" <K7LXC@aol.com>; "towertalk@contesting.com"
<towertalk@contesting.com>
 Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:54 PM

OK, see if this changes any opinions.  When I put up the A3WS at the towers
nested height of about 30 feet, 12 meters swr was flat, 30 meters was flat, and
17 meters was around 1.8:1....
Now, with the A3WS MOUNTED OVER THE th-7, 12 METERS is 1.8:1, 30 meters is
3.1:1, and 17 meters is 1.0:1........
I have the A3WS mounted about 10 to 12 feet above the TH-7.  While talking to
Mark at DX Eng., he brought up the issue of spacing between the TH-7 and the
A3WS..... Originally, I thought that the 10 to 12 feet of space between the two
would be enough.  However, at this point, I HAVE NO CLUE! Would it be worth
moving the TH-7 above the A3WS?????
While coming home for lunch,  I worked the 5Z4 on 17 meters with the tower
nested.... Hell if I know at this point!!!
AS TO THE QUESTIONS ON HOW I MEASURED THE SWR, I have used both the MFJ 259 and
the radio's (FT-1000 field) and get the same measurements.... And have measured
the swr at the end of the coax connected to the balun on the yagi.....
The TH-7 is working just fine......
I appreciate all of the help and advice...My XYL is livid with me as I have
been totally consumed with these problems, and as much as I like RF, I LIKE
"THAT" better and don't want to end up divorced;)

Chris
 Christopher L. Wynn
Attorney-at-Law
Christopher L. Wynn, ESQ., P.C.
8473 Earl D. Lee, Suite 300
Douglasville, Ga., 30134
(770)942-8661 (Landline)
(770)577-1626 (Telecopier)
chris@chriswynnlaw.com

    On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 10:40 AM, "K7LXC@aol.com" <K7LXC@aol.com>
wrote:

  >  Last week I had the antenna back on the ground and disassembled every trap
on it, and found nothing out of the ordinary. ?     So what was the swr when it
was on the ground? Did you check it?     You need to first ascertain that your
antenna looks like an antenna; i.e. it has a dip somewhere. Put your antenna
analyzer on the antenna and work your way back from there.      BTW many times
an "antenna problem" turned out to be something in the shack; e.g. coax jumper,
coax switch, etc.  Cheers & GL,Steve      K7LXCTOWER TECH