Re: [TowerTalk] 6 meter angle arrival for DX

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 meter angle arrival for DX
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 15:18:43 -0400
Hey Bill,

I?ve been on 6m as a serious DXer since Nov 92?about 150 worked on SIX?(QRV
HF since the late 70?s)?.There were years I barely ever left the house from
mid June to mid July for fear of missing some EU 6m DXpedition on Es.

 I was handsomely rewarded on more than one occasion with a 2 minute
opening.  But I digress?..

Via F layer, some of the angles can get very low 1-3º for optimum DX. (Will
we ever see F layer on 6m again??.man, it?s been a while!)

On Es (single or double hop) the angles can get very high. (10-15 or 20º
even)?.I had dbl hop Es to Cuba one time where a tiny 3el @ 30? was the best
antenna in the yard, but that was quite rare.

I?ve had every 6m antenna imaginable.  Probably my best were 2 stacked
antennas.

I had 3 over 3 at 50/70? and 8/8 at 48/64? and even the same 8/8 at 35/49?.
(qrz.com shows my 8/8 homebrew stack at 48/64?)

All these stacks always outperformed my reference antennas which have all
been long boom 5 or 6 element designs up at the same heights. (I really like
the K6STI 5el)

You can?t go wrong with a stack.  Lefty, K1TOL has one of the largest around
with 4 x 9el and I think he?ll tell you that 98% of the time, he just leaves
all 4 antennas in line.

I have work KH7Y via Es and he?s the guy to talk to I guess for KH6 prop.

Once you stack??do up a pair of antennas @ 50/70? with a BIP/BOP switch and
you?re good.

73 es we?ll see you (all of a sudden) on SIX !

Mike VE9AA

p.s.-hardline is your friend on VHF ! (I am sure you already know that)

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB