Re: [TowerTalk] How to "lock down" wire rope clamps/clips?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to "lock down" wire rope clamps/clips?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 14:06:18 -0500
Over the years, I have used Nylock nuts and found them very handy, BUT ALL either failed, or were close to failing where exposed to the elements. Looking into the outside end of the nut, the Nylon was either completely gone or nearly so in a year or less.

Nylon Rope, which is smooth and very stretchy when installed, becomes rough and quite stiff with very little stretch within just a few days.

I don't know the reason. Acid rain? We are downwind from a rather large, flat land farming area. We are about 120 mile via the prevailing winds from the Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo area and about 200 miles from the Gary IN and Chicago area. Prevailing winds are SW only about 30%, with the rest spread around the compass relatively even.

UV? I'm quite sure that it affects the Nylon rope. A combination of UV and acid rain for the nuts? Probably.

At-any-rate, Nylock nuts do not stand up well around here. I make it a practice to never use them on antennas, or anything structural. I don't recall seeing any on new antennas, but I'd replace any that did show up along with a note to the manufacturer as to their suitability. Based on experience, I'd say Nylock nuts on antennas are bad news. Yes they are great and easy to use in high vibration environments. Now if they'd just last!

73

Roger  (K8RI)