Re: [TowerTalk] Oil For Dummy Load

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Oil For Dummy Load
From: Bryan Swadener via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 01:21:30 +0000 (UTC)
Pete,
When I refurbished my Heath HN31 Cantenna (overheated resistor), I replaced the
olde unknown oil with transformer oil. It was free from my electric utility's
transformer shop. A few phone calls, and I tracked-down the supervisor, who was
happy to give me a gallon. The trick was getting their gnarly fill pump to
supply ONLY one gallon. Even if I had to buy transformer oil, I would NEVER use
anything else.
Since then, I built a 1500W dry dummy load that can take 1500W at 100% duty
cycle (unless I run out of cooling air). Leaks are also not an issue. I just
pick the dust bunnies out once in a while. The Cantenna now sees no more than
100W (the Kanthal-Globar #886SP resistor is rated only 90W @ 40°C). If
necessary, MFJ sells transformer oil.
vy 73 es gl,Bryan WA7PRChttp://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-dummy