Re: [TowerTalk] Oil for Dummy Load

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Oil for Dummy Load
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 06:00:35 -0800
On 11/30/15 5:55 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
I'd add sufficiently high boiling point to the list of desired
attributes listed below.  Good thermal properties would be good as well.
What properties? Specific heat for one.  A high boiling point is part of
the story but the heat energy (calories or BTU) required to raise a
quantity of the fluid to the boiling point is important too.

I think the brake fluid will probably handle the job.

High flash point, now that I think about it. Gasoline is a pretty good insulator, but a poor choice as dielectric fluid.

Does anybody have an opinion about using brake fluid ?

Anything that is non-corrosive, non-conductive, and reasonable
viscosity would probably work.