[TowerTalk] INstalling guy wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] INstalling guy wires
From: "Mitch" <mskobier@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 13:46:29 -0800
All, I have stacked many a section of Rohn 25, and the method I have settled
upon is as follows.

I actually use a set of Kline cable grips to grasp the cable, but any of the
previously mentioned methods will work. I would be a bit leery of the vise
grips, as the sharp edges in the jaws can knick the strands and cause a spot
where the galvanization is damaged, leading to rust. Of course a quick shot
of cold galvanizing spray will help repair the damage.

I just use a cheap Harbor Freight ratchet strap hooked from the anchor point
and whatever method you choose to use to grip the cable and pull it taught,
then form the eye and clamp. I've tried the come-a-long and various other
methods, and I have found that it is the simplest method for me. with the
limited tension you are going to put on the guy wire while forming the eye,
you can ever make up a pulling loop out of a piece of scrap wire cable, and
use the saddle clamp to temporarily attach it to the guy wire. This gives
you a nice attachment point for the ratchet strap hook to attach.

Mitch KJ7JA