Re: [TowerTalk] Rope/Guying

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rope/Guying
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 23:17:14 -0500
I've used Davis RF for rope and coax. http://www.davisrf.com/dacron.php 3/16ths and 5/16ths. I have it run up the tower and through pulleys currently near the top. http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AntennaSpreader1.htm The 40 meter sloper is supported the same way off the NE side of the tower, but isn't easily seen in this photo.

When the tribander, or 40M3 are in place with the 7L C3i 6-meter Yagi 12 to 15 feet above which ever, the attach points will be lowered abt 10' to the 90' level and the ends of the antennas will be farther from the tower to minimize interaction. The other ends of the antennas are anchored to trees, using 5/16ths Dacron Rope to lag bolts with forged eyes.

The double weave 5/16ths Dacron ropes come down the outside of the tower to the bottom section where they go inside and are anchored around a cross brace about 3' above ground level, with three or 4 wraps. I pull it as tight as I can easily do, then holding the end of the rope in one hand, grab a section above and pull out with the other hand. Then take up the slack by pulling on the end as I let the rope back into the tower. By repeating this this, I can easily put several hundred pounds of tension on the antenna which is needed to keep it relatively straight with the choke and LMR-400 cable hanging from the center. This requires a substantial center connection as well as strong antenna wires! I use Copper split nuts on wire connections "up there" http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AntennaFeed2.htm I need more cores and more turns as I had to add a second choke back at the tower. There are 7 turns rather than 6. You can see 6 external loops, but the coax makes 7 passes through the cores.

I'm going to change the anchor method to simple, inexpensive spur gear drive winches so I can get the tension with only one hand. Using the pulley near the top of a 100' tower requires at least an extra 100 feet of rope to lower the antennas. The winches, neatly, take care of that extra rope which just gets piled up at the base of the tower at present. With 2, 3, or 4 antennas that makes for a tangled mess.

DANGER:
As an added safety note, I use a kitchen match to light the ends of the poly rope. Once melted, while wearing leather gloves I massage it into a ball. The gloves are a necessity! That melted poly can cause some serious burns and once stuck to skin it's really difficult to remove. If you don't move fast enough you can end up with the rope welded to a glove. With a double weave rope, make sure that the jacket gets bonded to the core.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

---