Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Fwd: Return on investment (golden rules) for ante

To: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Fwd: Return on investment (golden rules) for antenna installations
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 13:54:34 -0800
Hans,

As you note, the specifics of the pattern count a lot. Side and back lobes, & high angle lobes all add QRN and QRM you don't want to hear. So often it is better to sacrifice a bit of gain to have a very clean pattern. Stacks add gain and also change the elevation angle of lobes as yagis are placed higher above ground, and both are reasons to have a stack. Much of the "big gun" advantage of mono-banders is the superior pattern as well as the slightly higher gain over similarly sized multi-band yagis. So in the right situation, good F/B may be better than a few more db's of gain.

I can A/B a 5L x 2 monobander stack against a very good 4L multiband yagi, noise and QRM go down and signals come up on the stack. It can be less than one to about 2 S units both ways, depending on arrival angles, etc. Of course, that is an totally unfair comparison $ for $ of cost.

RE the other post, it is not surprising that a "super shorty" multi-band beam at it worst design point (2L on a 6' boom for 20m!) has a negative advantage over a dipole at one half wavelength up. Resonant dipoles at 1/2 wl and higher are very good antennas. Fan dipoles in my experience beat other "all band" horizontal single wire antennas.

One "golden rule" oft quoted is a db costs about $1500. Against a dipole at 3/4 wl high that is a low estimate for tower + rotator + yagi + install. One GR that I subscribe to for yagis is boom length is what counts. Five elements on a 70% wavelength boom works great. Three elements on a 25% wavelength boom might be a waste of money.

Grant KZ1W