Re: [TowerTalk] 80M 4 Square Array Material options

To: "'Daniel Hileman'" <n9wx@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M 4 Square Array Material options
From: "K5WA" <K5WA@Comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 12:08:53 -0600
Dan,

I got real lucky and found a guy who was selling 400' of old Rohn 20 on eBay,
normally assumed to be "TV tower", for $20 a section.  I used the tower to
build my version of ON4UN's single elevated radial 4 square.  For insulators, I
used fiberglass rod that fit inside the Rohn 20 legs.  For each element, I
stuck 20' of tower "nose down" into 5 feet of cement, inserted the fiberglass
rods into the open leg at 15' height, then stacked 6 sections of tower on top.
I used a 10' aluminum tube (1") on top as the "tuning" device.  I could have
just used 5' as it turns out since my element ended up at 64' after tuning.
Since I had Rohn 20 left over, I used them at the center of the square (to
mount the phasing box) and the end of radial supports but you could use 2x4s to
save money.  I used Dacron rope for guys.  I'm a 225lb guy so climbing these
tower SHOULDN'T be done very often but to stack the tower and adjust the top
aluminum tube, I was very comfortable and have lived to talk
 about it.  ;-)

That was the mechanical side.  I bought the DX Engineering 80 4SQR phasing box
and built the 75 ohm coax lines with big ferrite chokes on the vertical end.  I
have been very please with it and it has withstood some pretty heavy winds with
no problems.  I liked it so much that I built one for 160M but since I didn't
have 800-1000 feet of Rohn 20 left, I used top-loaded wires hung off my 160'
40M tower.  It isn't quite as good as the 80M 4SQR, but I'm very happy with it
even so.

I probably have $1000 in the 80 so it wasn't cheap but a 4SQR can get to be a
BIG antenna fast and it will take plenty of time tuning it correctly to achieve
minimum "dump" power.  Tuning to achieve minimum "dump" power maximizes the
gain and F/B of a 4SQR.  ON4UN's book goes into all the math and calculous
explaining that but I just absorbed as much as I could and experimented a lot.
The less money you invest means you'll be experimenting a lot more but time and
eBay are going to be your best friend to keep this project within budget.

Good luck,

Bob K5WA
Houston, TX