Re: [TowerTalk] 80M 4 Square Array Material options

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M 4 Square Array Material options
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 16:50:36 -0800
On 1/29/16 4:31 PM, EZ Rhino wrote:

Has anyone ever heard a credible story about a 4 square made of irrigation pipe
that failed?
Patrick        NJ5G

YES!!  firsthand...

W7HPW's original four square of 3" (or was it 4"?  can't remember) irrigation
pipe came down about six months after it went up.  All four of them.  They got some kind
of a resonsance/vibration going during a storm and it fractured the tubing part way up.
I think they were guyed at two levels.  I know people use this stuff to do four squares;
I know it's cheap, light, and easy to work with.  Some may have better luck than others.
But is it certainly the wrong material to use for something like this.

If it was aeolian vibrations, wrapping a rope spiraled around the element would fix that (like the car antennas).

The spiral pretty much kills the vortexes that result in the vibrations.