[TowerTalk] US Tower seized gearbox

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower seized gearbox
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 08:15:27 -0800
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 22:42:49 -0600
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW:  FW: US Tower seized gearbox

Thanks Bob - good info.  Agree heat is a pretty good indication...

Matt

##  it was  pointed out to me that it could also be a seized motor. I have never
seen a seized motor, but it might be worth removing the rubber belt, and seeing
if the motor is seized.  If it is, then the large diam pulley on the gear box
should easily
turn by hand.....with no belt. Then just the motor requires replacement. That’s
a long shot
imo, even with one or both bearings trashed inside the motor, but you never
know.

##  the synthetic oil swap is an excellent idea, I saw that on hub citys
website quite  a
while back. I didn’t realize the gear box would run a lot cooler with the
synthetic installed.

Jim  VE7RF