Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals and well pipe grounding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals and well pipe grounding
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 05:03:56 -0500
In the Saginaw Valley, which is an extremely large (perhaps close to, or more than 6,000 sq miles and ringed by roughly 600 ft hills-shown on Google Earth) is shallow valley off the SW end of Saginaw Bay in Michigan. The top soil varies widely, but generally is no more than a foot or two thick. The sub soil is "usually" clay, or sand (possibly layers of both) usually for 6 to 10 feet. Below that is usually about 400 feet of gravel, sand, and large rocks over shale. On the surface those rocks would be called erratics. In our area there is a wide area of salt water at roughly 100 feet down, but that varies widely from 50 feet to over several hundred feet, over short distances.

*IOW, the soil in this area generally makes for a poor ground, so an effective, safety ground system needs to cover a relatively large area. The one, two, or three ground rods required at the electrical entrance are often relatively useless as safety grounds. In late summer they don't come near the water table in some locations (mine)**
**
**Even though the water table may be within a few feet of the surface part of the year, three, 8' or 10' ground rods around the base of a tower, often make for a poor safety ground and are not suitable for lightning protection, **
*
Many hams in this area use only one or two Ground rods at the base of the tower, sometimes, none. There are several 40 to 60 ft towers within 3 miles of me with no ground rods. I took down a simple 30 footer on a sand hill that had no ground rods. The rational was that it was dry sand as far as any ground rod would reach. It was a fine sand, what we usually refer to as "blow sand". A temporary tower for a few years and he didn't have the money for a ground system. With thunderstorms in the area he said he'd just throw the cables out the window.

I believe there many in this area that just can't afford a good ground system and much of their stations consist of old, scrounged, or basic home built equipment. I know, that 55 years ago, as a 20 year old about to turn 21, mine was that way. Much because I couldn't afford it and much because I didn't know any better.

 73

Roger (K8RI)