Re: [TowerTalk] Tower buried section legs -- Buried in Concrete orBelow

To: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower buried section legs -- Buried in Concrete orBelow the Concrete?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 19:40:43 -0800
Don,

"proper" is a poor choice of words. Towers can be engineered either way, and there are pros and cons for each approach. How the tower is loaded with antennas sometimes affects the base choice as well. As long as the design is within the allowable limits for the tower sections, there is no reason to expect the failures you cite. You should know that there aren't "hole in the base plate" pier pin bases made for 65 and that Rohn supplies buried bases for 25, 45, 55, and 65 at a fraction of the cost of pier pin solutions.

From what I've seen and heard about tower failures, guyed towers almost always come down when a guy fails in some manner (turnbuckle, insulator, termination, guy corrosion, tree fall, vehicle contact, etc etc), not sheared bolts or fatigue failures.

I'm confident the PE did a great job for my buried base 65 tower, it is a trivial structure compared to his day job. It was erected and plumbed in about 5 hours, 142' and there wasn't a tapered section in the prior install.

see http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1537335 for a commercial 160' tower for sale, not pier pin.

Grant KZ1W