Re: [TowerTalk] Participating in a contest for the sake of dx?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Participating in a contest for the sake of dx?
From: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 19:14:31 -0600
Note sure of your name or call.  My replies below.

On 2/9/2016 6:55 PM, dw wrote:
I have heard DX mentors suggest that contests are high potential events
for snagging some dx that wouldn't otherwise be so readily available.

All of the major DX contests have rare DX operations that may only be available for the contest.

See: http://www.ng3k.com/Contest/index.html

But I'm not sure how the contest people would feel about that?

Trust me..contest ops WELCOME your QSOs. There is nothing worse than running out of guys to work. The one caveat I would mention is that you should be familiar with the rules and make sure that you're giving the contest op a valid contact and one that counts for points. For example, if you're in the CQWW DX contest, and you live in the US, don't call other stations in the US. In CQWW, US to US contacts are worth zero points. Also, if the contest requires you exchange, for example, your CQ Zone, don't give your ITU zone or your state :)

An excellent resource, when you turn on your radio and wonder, "what contest is this and what are the rules" is:

http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php <http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php>

Also, contesting.com is an excellent resource (and they host this reflector :) ) http://www.contesting.com/

If ham-1 (a contest ham who will be submitting his log) makes a contact
with ham-2
(a dx chaser who won't be submitting his log) does the absence of
ham-2's log
disqualify ham-1's contact with ham-2, resulting in lowering his score?

Most contests allow QSOs with "uniques". Uniques being QSOs that only appear once in one person's log. Also, if you don't send in a log, most contest do not penalize the contest op.

If it works that way, I would anticipate the serious contest hams would
be a little miffed
at people who use the occasion to simply add contacts to their personal
log book.

But perhaps I'm mistaken?

I hope to hear you in the next contest. Jump in with both feet and have fun!

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org